Part of the requirement for student-teaching at Elim is that you go through the full week of training that Elim puts all of their staff through- whether that be teachers, paraprofessionals, behavior therapists, nursing staff, or other professionals who are involved in the lives of the students that attend the school. The same goes for student-teachers. Over the course of last week I completed this training and while parts of it were exhausting, I have come away from training with this:
I am certain that I want to be at Elim for the rest of my life.
On the first day of training we were introduced to the President of Elim. In about a half hour he spoke to use about how and why he came to Elim and why he felt that Elim's mission was so important. Everything that he said was so spot on with what I believe and how I feel that I literally sat there thinking "I don't want to be anywhere else." Friends, this school is the real deal. Here's why:
#1: They recognize that people with disabilities are here to further God's kingdom: In one of my courses this semester at Trinity (Professor Harkema's class, by the way), we spent several hours discussing how people with disabilities fit into God's plan. (If you want to read an amazing book about people with disabilities and God, I highly recommend this book. Even if you just have the slightest interest as to why God allows disability- read it). There's no easy answer to why God allows disability. But we do know that God uses people with disabilities to further His kingdom.
#2: Elim recognizes that we need people with disabilities just as much as they need us: One thing that I am quick to call people out on is their thinking that individuals with disabilities are helpless and that we must help or "save" them, because often times, especially when it comes to individuals with profound disabilities, it is easy to think they are incapable of achieving anything without our help. Yet often times, we forget that we need them. They teach us perseverance. They teach us patience. They show us what unconditional love looks like. They teach us to see joy in the midst of trial. They show us that attitude is everything. We need them.
#3: Elim recognizes that our faith plays a huge role in how we treat people with disabilities: Faith and disability at Trinity go hand in hand. From the start, we are taught to connect the two. Our faith and what we believe about God directly impacts how we think about people with disabilities. For example, we believe that God is sovereign. That means He has allowed disability to exist. Grapple with that one for a moment; think about what that looks like to a family who has a child with a severe disability. God has allowed that disability. There is no easy answer as to why. But if all is in His control, He has allowed it. We believe that each person was individually created by God, uniquely designed for a specific purpose. Which could be a point all in itself.
#4: Elim recognizes that ALL people are uniquely and purposefully designed by God: Here's the thing friends. We all have gifts and talents. Some of us are called to be nurses. Teachers. Counselors. Therapists. The list goes on and on. We all have purpose- a plan that has been created for us. That applies to ALL people. Even those with the most severe disabilities. I think of one of my Elim students, who couldn't speak, yet had such a profound influence on those around him. I think of Jacob who loves so unconditionally that it makes me cry. Their purpose may be different. It may be the same. What matters is we all have a purpose. Disability or not.
I'm not quite sure what my purpose is yet. I know I have been called to teach. I know that I want to be at Elim. But I'm not sure where the Lord will take me in this next year or so. But I do know that Elim has captured my heart. And that come March, I'm going to be working there with a fabulous group of students. And I can't wait for that adventure to begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment