I know I promised this post last night, but things came up. So you are getting it this morning :)
This year I had the opportunity to work in a first glade classroom with 29 little kiddos. Over the past 2 months I have spent 64 hours in the classroom with them, learning side by side them. I can honestly say I have loved every minute of it. There were days I would not want to go because I was having a bad day, and I'd go anyways and end up having a blast with them. I spent countless hours reading to them, working with them one on one, playing games with them, grading their homework, and more.
Yesterday was my last day, and I was absolutely overwhelmed with the love the kids showed me. I was literally tackled twice, hugged by all individually, some of them even crying. I heard a ton of I love yous, I'll miss yous, and you'll be a great teachers. And the kids each made me a card- and if you know me, you know I love cards.
I was also just extremely touched by my cooperating teacher. She is such a wonderful woman, inside and out. I learned so much from her. I learned how important it is to use positive reinforcement instead of negative. I learned investing time in a kid can change their life. I learned classroom management strategies. I overall just learned a lot about what it means to be a great teacher. Almost every day there were periods of time when it would be just her and I in the classroom and through my talks with her I learned a lot more about myself, and about her. She was an all around just wonderful person, and has told me multiple times now that she is always there for me if I need anything, and to always remember that her door is always open. She wrote me a card as well, and also sent me an email last night that made me cry.
I am very much going to miss her, and the students. Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I've had to do this semester. I think I am definitely going to be one of those teachers that cries at the end of every school year.
I am so incredibly thankful for the time I got to spend in this classroom. I have learned so much and have grown so much as well.
I can't wait to be a teacher.

No comments:
Post a Comment