Friday, October 11, 2013

Teacher Aiding

Let me just start off this post by saying there are not a lot of things in life that leave me so full of joy and energy that I can survive for 2 days on 5 hours of sleep.

My teacher aiding placement this semester is one of those things.

I am placed this semester in a high school classroom at Elim Christian School, which is a school for children with special needs. At first I was really nervous about being at Elim. We went through this training process to aide there, and the entire time the lady basically made it sound like we were not going to have ANY interaction with the students and we were literally going to sit in the corner and not do anything. That is also the idea I had in my head from other Trinity students who had aided at Elim before. So I went into it very nervous.  Add that I was placed in a high school classroom on top of those nerves? I was basically a shaking goose when I walked in on my first day. 

But I went in on my first day complete with a flipping cute outfit and my game face. The face that said "I am totally calm right now, this is no big deal, I'm going to smile and pretend I'm not freaking out and like I'm not acutely aware of every single move you make" face. 

I was showed to my classroom where I was instantly overwhelmed by 11 students and another 13 adults. 10 of which were one-on-one aids for the students, one speech path, my cooperating teacher, and then also the assistant teacher. 

Can you say intimidating?

Mrs. S immediately approached me with a huge smile on her face and welcomed me to her classroom. She is only about 26 years old, has been teaching at Elim since graduating, and is as sweet as can be. The love she has for her students was immediately apparent to me as she walked me around and introduced me to each of her students.

Nearly all of my students are nonverbal and are in wheelchairs, which makes the classroom really crowded. But let me tell you this: by the time I finished out that first day, I was in love with it and knew that is where I was supposed to be.

All of Mrs. S's staff literally just welcomed me in and took me under their wings. They filled me in on how long they had been teaching, how they became interested in Special Ed, and more importantly, on their individual students. I learned sooooo much.

I was also interacting with the students on the first day. I talked to several of them for quite a bit of time, went to lunch with them, and went to recess with them.

I can't tell you much about the students themselves because of how strict Elim is, but I can tell you this- each time I have gone to Elim I have left with such an incredible sense of "This is what I am called to do." The joy I get from being around these students is unreal and the energy it gives me is insane. 

I am growing. I am flourishing. I am bonding with the students and staff. I am learning. I am loving. 

And I can't not tell you this. The first thing I saw when I walked in the classroom was a pink hippo pillow. Not even kidding.

I am exactly where God wants me to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment