Saturday, July 28, 2012

Surrender

I've discovered the secret to life. Are you ready for it?

Surrender.

The definition of the word surrender is: to yield (something) or to give over the power to another

I've struggled with surrendering since I can remember. I always worry about everything and like to have things in my own hands. I don't even like other people driving me around (Unless it's Caroline, because I trust her driving more then my own). 

I've been told ever since I was a little kid that we have to surrender our lives to God in order to truly live. At 5 I didn't understand that. At 10 I still wasn't positive what that meant. At 15 I ignored it, and now, almost at 20, I realize exactly what it means and why it is so incredibly important.

It's no secret I've struggled with relationships in the past. Whether that be relationships with friends or my parents, I've always struggled. I always worry about my friendships with people and think that one little mistake will screw things up and it's been a battle for me before in my life. I always ask people if they're mad at me- because I worry! It's just silly.

This summer has been a hard summer for one of my best friends and I. Somethings have been said and done that has left us barely talking. I'm not even sure what exactly happened. This is typically something that would literally drive me insane because when something is wrong I immediately enter "fix it mode" and if I can't fix it I get upset and I go crazy and drive everyone around me crazy too. This time, it's not like that.

From the very start of this summer when everything started going wrong I gave this relationship over to God. I wrote in my journal, "Lord, I am putting this relationship in your hands. Do with it as you will, and let your will be done. Keep my heart, mind and attitude in the right place and give me the strength to trust you with this and not spend my summer worrying." 

I don't think I believed at the time giving it over to God was gonna work.

It did.

I haven't been upset. I haven't been constantly worried about it. God has given me a peace about it that I know could only come from Him.  That's not to say I haven't had my moments where I've gotten frustrated, or angry, or upset about the whole situation, because I have. But they never last long. God reminds me He is in control and His will will be done and He has a plan, and I'm comforted and I'm okay. (But I'm still going to jump for joy when this whole situation works itself out)

Surrender...it's so key. It's the way to true peace.

That's just one example of what I've surrendered to God this summer. There's been so much more, and I've found that I am truly happier now then I have been in a very long time. 

God is good friends. He is so good. 

So what is something you need to give over to God these days? Maybe a friendship, maybe money problems, maybe family troubles, the list could go on forever. Surrendering isn't always going to be easy, but I think it's always going to be worth it. 


This song kinda goes with this blog post a little bit. It's one of my all time favorites. Give it a listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment