In the past two weeks I have had the chance to spend nearly 12 hours with the Roseland kids. I have been there for a few meltdowns, homework time, lots of laughter, many hugs, hair-braiding sessions, and so much more.
One of the things I love most about Roseland is that I get to go pour love out onto these children who are in such desperate need of it. Some of them come from homes that are in extreme poverty- or families with over twelve children. They come to Roseland and they get the one-on-one attention they are often in desperate need of.
I have had the chance to really connect with about nine of the students at Roseland. Meaning- they love me. They shout my name when I walk in- they hug me- they complain when I have to leave. They talk with me about things on their mind and love to share stories with me about their lives. Some of them make me laugh till I cry. Others just make me want to cry.
I have come to love and care deeply about these kids, and I really love that God has chosen to use me in their lives- as well as use them in mine. Without knowing it these kids have gotten me through some pretty bad days- and I learn just as much from them as they do from me.
I want each of these kids to have amazing futures. I want them to go on to be whatever they want to be- and I believe they can. One girl told me this week she wants to be a singer and then she sang for me in a back room. She was amazing! If given the chance, these kids could do so much. But I have often found myself wondering what their futures look like- or where they will be in ten years.
God made each and every one of those children in uniquely amazing and beautiful ways. They all have their own personalities, and it has been such a blessing to be able to get to know them in these past months. I can't wait to see how God continues to build these relationships over the next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment